I was driving in my Studebaker along a long, dusty road. After I'd
been driving for – what felt like – ten billion miles, I finally
came across a town. It had a small green sign at the outskirts that
read “Welcome to Weasel Squash, Texas”. I pulled further into
town where I could begin to see the city.
Well, maybe 'city' is the wrong word for it. This was unequivocally
the smallest, dustiest town I ever did see. There was no grass
growing around, just wide open space and a couple buildings.
I parked my car in the street. There was no parking lot I could see,
and no meters anywhere. But I didn't care. I was hungry. Last time I
ate was yesterday morning, and that was just some sausage and an
apple.
I walked into what looked to be a restaurant. In fact it was, but I
stood out like a Roman soldier in a town of Eskimos and penguins.
“Could I get something to drink please?” I asked to the woman at
the counter.
“Honey, if'n youse thirsty, stick yo' head under yonder downspout
outside,” she said “An' wait 'til it rains again.”
Another voice piped up. “Now don't be treatin' this here stranger
wrong, Velma.” The body belonging to the voice stood up. It was an
older man, and he walked over to where I was, and he took a seat next
to me at the counter, next to where an old-looking toaster was
perched “He looks to be mighty tired an' tuckered out after a long
day o' travellin'.”
I asked “And who are you?”
“M'names Jimbob McClardy, but folks 'round here call me The
Colonel! 'Cause I gots a Colonel hat!”
He motioned to his hat. I didn't see any resemblance to a colonel's
hat.
“And what do you do here in Weasel Squash?” I asked.
“I's is a pilot.”
I was shocked. This man didn't look smart enough to work an abacus.
“A... an airplane pilot?”
“Nope. Wood pilot! My brother cuts it, an' I pile it!”
He leaned back and roared with laughter. It took me a moment to get
the joke.
This lasted several minutes. I was bombarded with strange jokes from
the Colonel and his friends (one of which involving a pun on the word
'Deoxyriboneucleic Acid' which I will never understand as long as I
live), after which I decided I'd had enough. I left the restaurant
and went back to my Studebaker and gave the ignition a good crank. To
my horror, there was nothing. No sound, no revs, just.... dead. I
didn't know what had happened, but I certainly was not going to
remain here for long.
Turned out I was wrong. I had to check into a motel for the night. It
was a tiny room, with a bed juxtaposed with a television. And a
lampshade on the mattress. No lamp, just the shade.
As I tried to settle into bed, I heard a voice beckoning me. I didn't
understand. Who knew me? Who knew I was here?
I went to the window and opened it to see who was calling. A young
boy stood outside. He gestured to me, indicating I should come. I
followed him outside, and he remained silent until we were standing
in a field of lavender.
“Now just how in the world do you grow lavender out in a place
like....?”
“Stop!” the boy said. “Please, there isn't much time. There is
something I must tell you.”
“Oh,” I responded “Uh.... what is it?”
“Well, surely you've noticed this place ain't all what it seems to
be.”
“Not really. And don't call me Shirley.”
“I doesn't matter. But I must
tell you. I must tell you the story of Weasel Squash....”
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment